Wednesday, March 11, 2009

ZACH'S BIRTHDAY & ELIJAH'S ACCIDENT


Well by the time I made it home at 10pm the party was over and the cake had not been cut!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZACH!
Sorry I missed your rockin party!
LOVE YOU!

The culprit!

Elijah had called me earlier to tell me his bike was stuck in the mud and he could not get it out. He sent me this pic and I told him that it got stuck because he had not told anyone that he would be out on his bike, he was riding alone , without a helmet and in bad conditions! I laughed about the bike pic and told him we would be home soon to help. I was just leaving Walmart with all the food for Zach's party when I got a second call from Elijah but this time his voice was very different. He said he thought he had broken his collar bone and needed to go to the hospital. Needless to say I went from zero to freaked out in .02 seconds. Thankfully our next door neighbors kids were riding on a nearby track and Elijah was able to walk up the road so they could get him help. I am very grateful that our neighbor Stephanie came to the rescue and took him to the ER and took great care of him. I was in full panic trying to get to the hospital for my baby. I just needed to lay eyes on him to see that he was okay!


His clavical was broken in three places!


He was in significant pain but he was okay! I had so many thoughts going through my head about what if...and I was not with him! Remember the knuckle head was not wearing a helmet as he flew over his handlebars! So to see and touch him took all of my panic away! I requested some Morphine and...


ALL WAS WELL!

They put him in a sling and sent him home. We went back to the ER on Sunday and then back to the Naval Hospital Monday. They told me that his surgery was an elective and that they could wait up to 30 days before fixing it. well I am normally a very passive person but I was about to lose it. Elijah was nauseous, in pain, not sleeping and completely freaked out by these grinding bone pieces! So I called Jim and told him that he better get there quick or I was going to be hauled off by MP's. Our free medical care hard at work here! My husband risks his life in Iraq and they treat us like insignificant cattle! So after getting no where with the patient advocate I decided to take him out in town.

I'm not sure how easy it is to see but he had a sharp piece of bone sticking up against his skin. Our Ortho in town said had we waited too long it would have punctured the skin and then the surgery is an emergency! He said less than a week would be the longest that he would leave an injury this bad wait. He said he normally sees breaks like this in major car accidents! God was was once again watching over my baby!


Daddy and his boy on surgery day! Love the sexy hat!

The shoulder is marked! Incidentally, our Orthopedic Surgeon is one of the top in the country!

Three hours, one titanium plate and nine screws, I believe, later. He was in so much pain and the Morphine was not doing the trick so I convinced the doc to give him something stronger so he reluctantly gave him Diluadid and it did the trick!



The week had taken a toll on me so Daddy said he would stay with our boy through the night so I could go home and sleep. Thanks baby, once again YOU ROCK! He even held a bottle for Elijah to go potty without getting out of bed! Now that's love and devotion!

I found him in a much better place the next morning! BTW that was NOT the bottle they used!

Daddy and his boy!

I pulled him forward so we could change his dressing and take him home and what a shock it was to see his incision.

Naturally he thinks it is totally cool!



VERY COOL! His doc, who was also very cool, said he had to come up with some cool story to go along with the scar. Oh, also chicks dig scars with cool stories! Elijah said bear attack and Dr McClurg approved!
Play along okay!
Since Elijah blew up a bottle rocket in his face for my birthday and crashed on his bike for Zach's we figured there is an every other birthday theme going. So for Marty's b-day in April we are setting up a flaming ring in the backyard and Elijah will be jumping through it on his bike! Okay maybe not, I don't think I can handle the stress!

No comments: