Saturday, May 12, 2007

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ME

Jim gave me the most thoughtful gift I have ever received! It is an Atta Girl bracelet and each link represents a ribbon specially chosen by Jim for me. It is not adorned with precious stones but is worth far more to me than if it were.

Each link comes with a certificate that explains its meaning and the meaning of the Swarovski crystals in them. They are made to look like military ribbons and are an amazing idea for military spouses whom watch their husbands collect ribbons and awards throughout their career as we stand faithfully by their sides. Their are six ribbons in all that he chose for me.
My favorite one is the Hazardous Duty Atta Girl.
The certificate reads:
Because the biggest decision of the day is to watch the news or not watch the news.
For every breath filled with the possibility that he may not come home.
Because PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is just as real for you.
Because the doorbell ring takes on a whole new meaning. (This one is so true for me because I had a neighbor come by just to check on us and I paced for about five minutes before answering. I answered the door near tears and all I could say to this kind man was "Do you know how badly you scared me.")
They may call it 'anticipatory grief, you call it a nightmare.
The courage it takes to run the "what ifs" and plan for a life without him, while simultaneously planning the homecoming.
And despite all of this you can still laugh. ( my laughter as well as my heart went with Jim)
I can not read this without crying so this means alot to me.
The crystals represent:
Siam red-for you sacrifice and nerves of steel while your military service member is deployed.
Crystal-your love and tears for your military service member.
Jet-for you service member standing in harm's way.
Montana blue-for the hope of you service member's safe return.
His thoughtfullness brought tears to my eyes and means so much to me!
Thank you HHB! YAMWW!
I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Mom2DraBrittGunn said...

I love this! I already went to the website and looked at them. I have never even heard of them! I'll have one soon too! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Marcy, Jim, Marty, Elijah, Zachary, Nicholas, Gabriel and Caleb said...

It is an awesome idea and about time the spouses are recognized. Now if they could come up with a similar idea to honor the children. They have a daughter Atta Girl but there is nothing out there for sons.